Gone are the days where Google search results are filled with unrelated articles or pages to the keywords you search. This is because of the continuous updates (e.g. Panda, Penguin, Hummnigbird) by Google. Every websites should run according to the rules of Google and every time they try to manipulate their way towards higher rankings, Google intercepts them and create a harder update. In the end, following their rules is still the best way to improve your website, increase on-page activity, and improve site traffic.
If you are struggling with the black hat SEO strategies you often use, maybe it is time that you shift to the other side. While there are different white hat strategies that you can try, doing the basics actually benefits you more. Here are a few of these tips:
Stop Pushing Visitors Away
4-3-2-1! If your webpage still don't load in 4 seconds, then you site traffic is in jeopardy. Shaun Anderson writes that, Akamai Technologies found out that 75% of 1,058 people won't come back on a site if it takes longer than 4 seconds to load. Optimize your website and make sure that it doesn't have heavy photos and videos. Avoid too much advertisements as well. These are some of the reasons why a site does not load fast.
Use Quality Contents
Focus on quality contents. You have to make sure that every article in your website are well written. You do not have to be a seasoned writer. You can hire writing companies to write for you. There are even editing services that can provide you with great contents. If you want it free, maybe accepting guest posts is for you. Here are few things that you must remember when writing:
- Engaging Articles: Engage your readers by having quality articles. Make sure that your post is not another post that they already read from other sites. It is okay if the topic is old. The important thing is that you side it to another angle. Make it "look" new to the readers and they might share it with other people.
The article should be short because long articles make people bored. Long articles even turned them away. Keep them reading by adding useful information and relevant stories. Who hates hearing interesting stories? Open up and keep them engaged.
- Easy to Read Layout: Avoid hard to read paragraphs because by looking at it, people already know the struggle they have to endure to read it. Even if you have interesting topics, long paragraphs are tiring to read. Avoid this, by breaking long paragraphs. Bullets and subheadings help too.
- Attractive Photos: Make your layout better by adding pictures on your posts. Pictures are breather for the eyes. It also avoid monotony and boring contents. Plus, pictures attracts curiosity so people read on. Some visitors even stay longer because of the nice photos they see on a site.
Promote and Reach-Out
Tell people how good your site is and make them visit it. This is how Google wants you to do because they prefer natural links. Encourage people by doing focusing on these two items:
- Social Shares: Social media is a great way for you to increase social activity. As marketing experts say, word-of-mouth is a powerful marketing strategy. There are plug-ins like GetSocial for Wordpress that gives call for action. The plugin encourage readers to easily share articles on their social media accounts.
- Comment Section: Comments section should also be optimized. There are Plug-ins that rates comments, allows image comments, easy commenting and many more. Of course you have to keep this section spam-free. Try Akismet or Captcha to avoid automatic spam.
Black hats are still used by many but most often, this only gives short term solution in optimizing your website ranking. There is nothing wrong with adhering to standards. Actually, these things are what makes a website stand-out from others.
Ethan Harvell has 4 years of on-line writing experience. He has done lots of quality articles for various companies, but currently he is working for paperontime.